samedi 19 avril 2008

C'est tout

Thesis Thoughts:
"Free, free, I'm free at last! I thank God Almighty I'm free at last!" Yay, I'm finally done! It's been a wonderful feeling just knowing that I don't have that paper weighing down on me anymore. It was a funny sequence of events that led up to the completion of it though, which I'll briefly share.

I only had a few hours left to edit the whole thing yesterday morning and to write a conclusion in the afternoon, which I didn't really end up doing. This meant that I was a few pages short but as I was converting the text from single-space to double-space, the computer made it appear as if I lost a bunch of my pages. So for about ten minutes, I was in utter shock that my project was only fifty or sixty pages long. I couldn't believe that I miscalculated everything that badly and that in the end, my project was no longer than my undergrad thesis was. Finally, the computer started formatting everything correctly and it did come out to the right amount of pages.

Then, as I was printing, the paper got incredibly jammed, which it hasn't done before, and I had to restart the whole batch because pages were getting printed onto two sheets of paper. And as if that wasn't enough (I was really up against the clock by the late afternoon now), the printer ran out of ink. If it wasn't for the "emergency just-in-case ink" that I asked my parents to get for me last week, I would have been toast.

On top of everything, we had a massive snowstorm and my dad was gracious enough to drive me to the school so that I could hand in my thesis and all of my library books. By the time I finally put all the pages together and counted them twice, it was rush hour time and I was certain that the roads would be horrid. It's a good thing I didn't take transit because I never would have made it in time. Well, by the grace of God, I somehow got my thesis in before the office closed - I just about fell over after all the frenetic activity of yesterday afternoon!

I've never really left anything to the last minute like that, but of course the one time that I did and the one time that it counted most, so many things had to go wrong. I guess that's life :)

Non-Thesis Thoughts:
It's slowly sinking in that I am no longer a student. I kind of don't know what to do with myself now... what a strange thought! I don't have deadlines looming over me, research I have to check out, any of that stuff. I'm finally getting to all the joyous purging that I talked about, and tossing out every school thing I no longer need. It's like a sense of finality now. The next few days are going to be really interesting for me; I think I'll be walking around in a daze trying to soak all of this in!

Libellés :