vendredi 22 août 2003

C'est Vendredi!

Meaning the Friday Five once again. However, I don't think some of these questions are that relevant, so instead I will be doing the Friday Seven, from Gman's blog, in place of that.

1. What in your study or pursuit of theology concept do you struggle with most?
There are so many, and we went through tons in theology class. This book helped us with a few of those. However, the one that is the hardest to understand is definitely the concept of grace, something so freely given yet which came at such a dear price.

Also the meaning of evil and suffering, a subject not to be taken lightly but is never ultimately answered... but perhaps we won't ever know in this life. I like what Job said: "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.... Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.... Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." - Job 42:2, 3b, 6


2. What is your spiritual gift?
The gift of helps/serving. Don't know of any others; spiritual gifts are hard because they are usually acknowledged by those in your church body.

3. What do you use to train your volunteers?
Since I'm currently studying youth ministry, I'll just say what's been used to train me. I had a few leadership training sessions with the youth pastor, Wayne, and I'm fairly certain he used YS resources. Oh yeah, I had "The Core" training as well. And I've been reading youth min. books, and I'm certain I'll have to read Doug Fields this year.

4. What is one mistake you made that you wished you knew before in youth ministry?
That I can't do everything, that I won't have time to do it all and that people won't always support what I'm trying to do. Um, something I learned later on, that you will not get along with everyone that you work with, but you have to love them because they love kids. This was a tough one for me to understand!

5. What mode seems to be the best in communicating an event to your students and their parents? (Advertising: Is it website, email; IMing; phone; fliers; announcements at church; your video ..and so on ....)
When I used to do communications, it was PPT presentations that ran before the youth service started; visuals attract kids :) The website had stuff on it, but then it crashed and not a lot of kids knew about it. Emails worked, but I don't think they were sent regularly enough. We have a PhoneTree but it can be a hassle because families with more than 1 kid in Student Ministries usually end up with quite a few messages. We have calendars for jr high and sr high and that has always worked! And personally, I do up newsletters for my own kids for their fridge.

6. If there is one game you have for your bag of tricks to use for filler time, what game would that be? (Is there a purpose or object lesson from it?)
You know, this was something I learned at college: the Smartie Ritual. I've only done it once or twice I think, but it's lots of fun and the girls enjoy it (plus you get candy!). The only purpose of it is to get to know each other better and to have fun doing so.

7. What is your favourite thing to do?
Lots! I love volunteering in my church video department. I love being with the grade 10 youth group and just having a blast with them all. I love reading great books that teach me more about God. I love attending church and worshipping Him with fellow friends and congregants. I love belting out praise songs to Him. I love God and I love life!

Libellés : ,