lundi 6 avril 2009

Technologically unadvanced

Compared to most people I know, I must be one of the least technologically-savvy 20-somethings out there. For instance:

1. I have happily had dial-up internet for the past decade.
2. I refuse to get a new cell phone that has more functions than calling people, receiving calls, and getting the occasional text message from someone who doesn't expect me to write back. I have no plans to give my almost five year-old phone up but in case I absolutely have to, I don't see where I can get a basic phone that's not a Blackberry, iPhone, etc.
3. I jumped on the Facebook bandwagon back when it just opened up to the public since my school wasn't one of the registered colleges that could access it beforehand. The academic feel appealed to me (remember when you could list your college courses on there, pre-app?) but now, I'm losing interest with it.
4. I refuse to get a Twitter account. Isn't that what blogging is for?
5. I still don't want or need an iPod.
6. I ended up receiving some sort of new technology gift in the mail but it's something that is so unnecessary and practically ridiculous yet I'll probably use it just so I don't feel like I'm letting it collect dust - even though it will. Why do people invent these things?!
7. I'm tempted to get a GPS system because I get lost going everywhere but I'm still content with writing directions down in my notebook, although I'm a bit behind on it right now.
8. The last time I ever chatted online was in my third year of college. I don't miss it at all.
9. I just learnt how to program my VCR three months ago.

There are probably other things out there that brand me as one who is a bit tech-backwards but this is a start. I have to laugh at the fact that one of my dear mentors who is in her 70s is way more advanced than I am in that she has a Mac, a Blackberry and she texts her friends (none of which I have/do myself). Someone mentioned that it's ironic that I used to be in tech ministry and yet I don't subscribe to any of the latest gadgets. Personally, I like having a minimalistic approach to all of this gear; if I don't need it, then I don't want to have to worry about it. I'll use it if someone else owns it but that's about it. I guess I'm not doing my part as a millennial in this generation..?

Libellés :