mardi 13 janvier 2009

Missions music

I'm doing something that I have not done in years - look for a song for a video. And now that I'm searching for just the right music, I remember how this was such a difficult and frustrating task. Granted, I mostly worked on camp and summer mission trip videos for youth so I had a bit more freedom to use any genre of music but now, I have to find something that will be appropriate and touching for a wide range of adults. I do have the last resort of stock music but even when I made videos for youth, I exhausted so much of it that I started to recognize it when local radio or TV stations used the same songs!

I'm trying to juggle all sort of things in my mind as I go through my music collection right now, such as the length of the song, its lyrics, if there are annoying beginnings/middles/ends that have to be edited out, etc. So far, I haven't come up with many songs because I do have a specific theme and mood that I'm after, and some songs are just too melancholy to be used in its entirety while others are overplayed, which is why I would prefer a more obscure Christian artist. I know, I'm too picky - but why is it so hard to find a good missions song? There's a joke that every missions video uses Audio Adrenaline's "Hands and Feet" (or MercyMe's "Here Am I") and I think the reason is because there aren't that many songs that are about missions. And when they are - watch out! It'll get used in every slideshow presentation, no matter who or what it's for :)

Honourable mentions:
"Go" - MercyMe
"To the Ends of the Earth" - Hillsong United
"Go and Be" - Audio Adrenaline
"Here I Am Send Me" - Delirious?

Links to lists of missions songs:
The Unofficial List
Missions Songs
Yahoo! Answers

Libellés : ,