mercredi 21 janvier 2009

Habit formation

In one of my leadership courses in seminary, we spent some time learning about habit formation. One thing stuck out to me, which was that it usually took twenty-one consecutive days of doing something in order to form a new habit.

Well, I'm now at day twenty-one of my Bible reading plan and happily, I have managed to do it everyday without missing a day :) I have been absolutely horrible at this in the past, missing up to three days several times a month. Needless to say, there were some long catching up days!

What finally convinced me to try a bit harder was the realization that there are a lot of things that we do everyday that we would never neglect - things such as brushing our teeth or eating (or additional things for me such as cleaning the lens of my glasses or flossing daily). If that's the case, why can't I apply the same mentality to reading the Bible? So far, this "guilt trip" (not really) has worked but I'm hoping that I can keep up with this... there's still 344 days left to the year!

Libellés :