samedi 27 décembre 2008

Reading record

Two years ago, I made the goal of reading a hundred books a year - to this day, I don't know why I made this decision or why I picked this number. I also don't know why I decided to start this after my first semester of seminary so ever since I've been tracking my progress, I've had to begin my count on December 15 (of all days). It would have made more sense to begin on September 1 or January 1 but alas, I'm stuck with this strange date now.

The first year, I was fairly close to reaching my goal but I fell behind by twelve books. I attribute this to living in Montreal that summer and only reading three books throughout my three months there. This past year, I fell even more behind by twenty-five books. I'm blaming the four months I spent working on my thesis, resulting in not fully reading any books and the summer in Montreal again (four books - what a terrible record). Perhaps this year I won't have any more excuses and I'll actually make it to my goal?

One neat thing that has come out of this goal has been in figuring out fun statistics about my reading habit. I only wish I had started doing this much sooner :) As a result of doing this, I've discovered that I have the propensity to zip through lots of public library non-fiction books but that I take forever on the non-fiction I own. Another thing I've noticed is that I rarely purchase fiction except for on my birthday so I'm lacking a bit in this area - it's largely dependent on what I find at the public library or the church library.

As for 2009, here are a few books I'm hoping to dive into:
- The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World by John Piper
- Just Jane by Nancy Moser
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Throw Out Fifty Things by Gail Blanke
- God's Continent by Philip Jenkins

Any suggestions for others I can add to my list?

Libellés :