jeudi 3 juillet 2008

Life on the other side of the country

So here are a few of the thoughts that have crossed my mind since living in Montreal for the past month and a bit (some of these started out as Facebook status updates, but were too long for them):

- It's really nice hearing music in the métro stations, especially the Amélie soundtrack on the accordion, but I wonder why I always hear wedding music being played at métro Jean-Talon?
- I've practically had chocolate overdose by now; having Juliette et Chocolat twice within the span of two days (as a dinner) does not seem healthy.
- The weather does not make sense here. Last summer, it was consistently hot and humid, with a couple of rainy days interspersed throughout. This summer, the rain has been extremely erratic (and frequent), almost to the point of imitating Calgary's unpredictable weather patterns.
- In the French program I'm enrolled in, we're each allowed up to three unexcused absences. And in the past three years, I've yet to make use of any of those, although I have to admit that I've been sorely tempted to do so within the past two weeks.
- On the first day of French class, I was seriously expecting the teacher to open in prayer. I guess being in Christian post-secondary education for six years has had a pretty lasting effect on me :)
- Living in the university residences has meant that everyone is on a never-ending quest for toilet paper. When I was at a wedding shower just recently, the first thought in my mind was, "That toilet paper would last about a week, maybe a week and a half. Wait, we're using that up on the bride and throwing it away?!"
- My English is deteriorating and it's not necessarily because my French is improving. Maybe my brain can't handle that many languages at once.
- I have to avoid all parks and the outdoors until after my best friend's wedding. Plus, I'd like to avoid those ugly, huge «bibettes» I've been seeing around in the West Island.
- My list of grocery stores that are in close proximity to the métro stations is slowly growing. I've discovered that there's a Metro right by Jean-Talon (along with the market, which I finally went to!) and a Super C by Lionel-Groulx. I think there's also a Metro near Snowdon, a Provigo near Parc, and the Metro that I went to last summer near Côte-des-Neiges.
- Going to school on Ste-Catherine Est has been bothersome all month. It's not a good part of town and it's always sketchy, no matter what time of day it is.
- Finally, this is my last extended Montreal experience. I've lived here on-and-off over the last four years and it's been such an adventure but I know that I'm ready to head back west and to settle down. Thank you for joining me on this journey - in looking back, it's a bit crazy that I've been able to live this way for that long. Now I'm looking forward to some stability and to establishing a new routine as a non-student, non-constant traveller :)

Libellés :