samedi 2 juin 2007

Life a few provinces away

Well, I'm in Montreal now and enjoying being on the other side of the country! I'm still adjusting to the humidity though, and especially summer humidity. I learned today that there are such things as humidity bugs; isn't that crazy?! I think I'm beginning to appreciate dry Prairie weather more now - after all, when it gets dry, you can always slap on more lotion and chapstick :)

While it's been nice hanging out with my friends and doing fun activities, I hate that I have homework hanging over my head all the time. At this point, all that is left are a research paper, lots of reading and an annotated bibliography (not to mention another course that I'm taking concurrently with my internship) but still, that's taking away from the full experience of being here. However, after I finished my final exam yesterday, I was able to take in the St. Viateur Festival de Rue, so that was excellent. I also bought some very freshly-made bagels, yum! I can't believe how inexpensive they are either; not only do you get wonderful Montreal bagels but they're at a fraction of the cost of bagels out west!

Since I'm living downtown this time, I've had the pleasure of observing street life and seeing how different it is from the suburbs. I'm sharing a place with my friends (maybe it could be described as a flat since it's not quite a house or an apartment?) and so it's been cool having roommates for the first time in my life. I'm always shocked that I have somebody to talk to; what a shift from the only child experience! Also, it's great to be immersed in French - by far, this has been one of the best immersion experiences I've had. I've remembered a lot of my vocab and I've been able to use my butchered French a bit more ;) Still a long ways to go from understanding people but I'm slowly getting there.

Anyways, I'm still without a plan for this month at this point so I'm just soaking up as much of the culture and language as I can. What a blessing that I've had my friends to help me with all that!

Libellés :