lundi 21 mai 2007

Country folk

For the first time that I can remember in my life, channel 11 is no longer the French channel - it's now Country Music Television (CMT), with Radio-Canada having switched to channel 9 a few weeks ago. This just serves as further proof that I live in the West; country music must be pretty popular in this city if it has moved from one of the premium channels to a basic one. And when I came across this funny quote, I couldn't help but laugh and see how it reinforces the redneck/hick image even more: "The only thing I wasn't expecting was cowboys. You see them drive around in their big trucks, wearing their hats, boots and wranglers with big rodeo belt buckles - and it's normal!" - Lizzie Morris, engineering student at University of Lancaster/Edmonton. Oh yes, pickup trucks are quite the common occurrence on these prairie roads (one might say rather unfortunately)!

Libellés :