jeudi 8 juin 2006

Uncommon thread

It's funny that I now have a chance to get on here to write something just when Blogger shuts down for maintenance. Well, classes are finishing up and I have four exams to go through today and tomorrow. After that, I am off! I don't know what my plans are for Montréal while I'm there but I would like to go to La Ronde. Other random thoughts along the lines of Michelle:

1. Reading Mara's blog has made me realize how much I miss books in general. I have had dreams of my bookshelf while I've been here. And it's a small world after all - there's a girl in my class who was in her Bible study group (all the way on the other side of the country!) :)

2. Typing on a French keyboard is something I am getting used to but it takes me twice as long to get anything written. I practised on my English keyboard at home but it's actually different when there are extra keys.

3. I am terrible at predicting the weather. It's a good thing I am not a meterologist. A couple of times now I have been caught in the rain and wind without a coat as well as baking in the sun because I did bring one.

4. I just learned yesterday where the 3-hole punch is at my university. Three days before the end of the course. Now I feel silly for lugging around tons of unpunched paper, scared that they would fall somewhere.

5. Reading Leviticus has given me a new awe for the holiness of God. Reading Numbers has made me realize that were it not for the intercession of Moses for the Israelites, they would have been wiped out time and again for their sins. What a heart Moses had for his people.

6. Not cooking at all this past month has made me really appreciate mothers who spend time in the kitchen everyday preparing culinary delights so that their family can savour a new feast together.

7. The nicest thing about taking classes in a hotel is that there is a chipper doorman to greet us everyday, although he hasn't been present lately and that makes me a little sad. Speaking of chipper, I frequently see squirrels and chipmunks when I walk to class.

8. The title of this entry originally made no sense, showing how my English has deteriorated over the weeks that I've been trying to pick up French. I think all my language learning attempts cancel each other out though as I now think in a mixture of three languages. Oy, adventures in words.

9. I am in a wedding next week! I can't believe that my friend is getting married in a few days! I remember lunches spent at Pizza Hut talking about boys and now she will married. Another one of my friends whom I used to have these chats with is also getting married at the end of summer, leading me to believe that someday, these conversations could become reality.

10. Because Blogger goes to French by default on the school computers, I am unable to check my spelling on here. Not that I rely on the checker, but it's always funny to see the word «blog» appear as a misspelling. I think I'm getting better at figuring out what button to press though.

11. When I get back home, I will have eighteen books waiting for me at the public library. Some of the ones I'm really anticipating (sorry, no links):
- The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order (Samuel P. Huntington)
- Is the Reformation Over?: An Evangelical Assessment of Contemporary Roman Catholicism (Mark Noll)
- Jesus in Beijing: How Christianity is Transforming China and Changing the Global Balance of Power (David Aikman)
- The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World (Alister E. McGrath)

12. Thanks for still linking to me even though I've been away for a month :) And for reading this, bien sûr.

Libellés : , ,