lundi 31 mai 2004

Long night ahead

I guess from the comments I've received so far, people don't see something wrong with recycling one's one work for more than one purpose. Tricky matter, isn't it?

According to Hexham, this is what he writes:

"Like all plagiarism the essence of self-plagiarism is the author attempts to deceive the reader. This happens when no indication is given that the work is being recycled or when an effort is made to disguise the original text. The issue once again is one of deception. Disguising a text occurs when an author makes cosmetic changes that cause the same article, chapter or book to look different when in reality it actually remains unchanged in its central argument. Changing such things as paragraph breaks, capitalization, or the substitution of technical terms in different languages so that readers to believe they are reading something completely new is self-plagiarism when these are the only changes an author has made to a text."
- Irving Hexham, Academic Plagiarism Defined, University of Calgary, 1999.

The reason I wrote about this was because I ended up having to do another one of those annotated bibliographies for my class (they should be banned). The thing is some of my sources are exactly the same books I've used before, and they were in both professors' recommended bibliographies. I didn't see the point in writing two reviews for the same book. Anyways, long story short, I emailed my professor and left a note for the other, and reworked both so that they are a bit different, with proper citations. I still don't know if that's enough but I don't want to have a guilty conscience. I'd rather go overboard than find out I've done something wrong.

I'm in the middle of my last two papers, so I hope to have them done sometime before dawn. I could have finished them last night but I decided sleep was too precious at that point. My friends have the joy of being finished school while I'm still bound to tons of work on top of work. Oh well, part of the college experience, I suppose!

Libellés :