vendredi 12 mars 2004

Rethinking the labyrinth

I posted about the Prayer Labyrinth two days ago but that must have been the sleepy side of me talking. What did I say? I said it was powerful. Yes, because I let my subjective side get the best of me. What else? Interactive? Definitely, I do have to say each station was meant to be that way. I don't know if I would honestly recommend it, now that I think more clearly about it. I've always wanted to go through a labyrinth, just quietly walking around and praying to God. But the other night... well I had a funny feeling all night but I couldn't quite put a finger on it. I did notice that it was pretty new agey. That was my initial reaction when the British lady started speaking about "walking into the light" and tons more other stuff that did not sound Christian at all. Red flags were immediately raised and I was thinking back to my new religious movements class and what we learned.

Well, I talked to my professor today a little more about it and it turns out that he felt the same way. My problem was that the terminologies used throughout the whole thing were too vague, as if they could equally be infused with new age meaning. I thought it was pretty syncretistic, which is definitely not biblical. I didn't say anything about it at first because I didn't want to look as though I was complaining about yet another thing, so I acted overenthusiastically and asked everyone if they did it so I could get their opinion on it (and make sure I wasn't the only one who felt that way). The whole thing was just too postmodern for my taste. Sure experience is great, but I'd rather have an experience of the Holy Spirit than of what a CD tells me I should be having. I couldn't figure out why I didn't feel the way I was told to and thought it was my fault. Now that I know better, I see that I was being overly cautious, which is great because I've been praying for years that God would grant me more discernment. I'm just disappointed that I didn't recognize and heed it earlier.

Not to bash it, but... this is what I think. I'll stick with "traditional" worship and Bible reading. That and the fact that I can't light a lousy candle.

Libellés :