samedi 6 mars 2004

... like a lamb to the slaughter...

I suppose almost every Christian blogger is writing about their experience of seeing "The Passion of the Christ" movie. While it was powerful and rendered me speechless, I found that I was distracted by all the little artistic details that were added, such as the eye-pecking and the Satanic-baby. But that's just the nitpicky side of me. I do know that my soul was stirred as I was watching this and that my emotions: anger, repulsiveness, shock, shame, and pain all rolled into one seeing my Lord go through what I should have. I could see myself in the crowd, cheering on for the crucifixion and taking perverse joy in it. I'm not really innocent of His blood, am I? Some Christians may feel opposed to seeing such a movie and they can rightly feel so, but if anything, this movie reminds us that there was a price for which our sins were paid. I've taken it much too lightly. What an incredible visual reminder that Jesus Christ came for us, for me, for you, for everyone, that we may have life in Him made possible only through His death and resurrection.

"He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not....
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed."
- Isaiah 53:3, 5