samedi 1 novembre 2003

Christmastime

I just love Christmas! Being able to celebrate the birth of Christ with friends and my church family is the best time of year. Since I'm one of those weird peoples who enjoy giving gifts more than receiving them (according to my friends), it's one of my passions to go out and buy presents for close ones. I am also a Christmas card nut, which is always hard because the most you can buy in a bulk quantity is 24 or 36. And this year, my card list has over 100 people on it...!

Anyways, I definitely recommend doing Operation Christmas Child, which is an excellent way to pass on the giving spirit. My life group is hoping to make a few shoeboxes this Christmas. It's very easy to put together and the rewards are infinite! My best friend got to give out some shoeboxes to little children in Mexico one year and she said that the looks on the kids' faces were beyond description.

Here's some stuff you can put in them if you're stuck for ideas:
Toys: small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, plastic kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky, etc.
School supplies: pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, coloring books, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, etc.
Hygiene items: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, comb, washcloth, etc.
Other: hard candy, lollipops, mints, gum, sunglasses, flashlights with extra batteries, ball caps, socks, T-shirts, toy jewelry sets, hair clips, watches, small picture books, etc.
(Ideas are taken from the Samaritan's Purse website)

Libellés :