mercredi 20 août 2003

2nd last camp update - they're going, going...

Apologies if my page was messed up today or anytime before that. I was at my best friend's house and it didn't load properly on her computer, so I'm wondering if it's doing that to everyone else too... it's always worked on mine :)

Last Wednesday, the adventures... I'll try to condense it a bit more for readability:
- slept in till 9:15... breakfast started at 8:30, it was the first time we ever slept in
- Julie still had to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" as a condition to get Stu back
- my mosquito bite from the hike swelled up and my arm was almost immobile
- after quiet time, we headed to our first activity
- Ash showed me and some others how to make "Gimp" bracelets
- headed back to the dining hall and played cards with Dal and Chris
- after lunch, a group of grade 10 guys and I started playing card games, beginning the endless rounds of various games that lasted until we had to leave camp
- group game time, which forced all the campers into the leech-infested waters where one of the girls chipped her toenail off, and the leaders all got hit with water balloons
- activity #2: the Mystery Event --> once again I got all the grade 10s (yay!)
- had a blast seeing these kids identify what they each brought to the team and seeing them work out problem solving situations - ie. fitting all of us (15 or so) onto a tiny rug the size of a kitchen tile, rearranging ourselves on a bench in mirror image without getting off
- this is where I fell backwards and hit my head on the bench right behind me - it still hurts!
- other situations: building a "foot" tower, moving from the lodge to the roundabout using small pieces of carpet while everyone was linking arms and another bench challenge where we had to arrange ourselves by birthday without talking to each other
- my girls declared war on the guys for Stu's kidnapping and stole their clothes while they were in the lake
- supper was delicious and it was also awards night - the kids got great prizes
- there was a late night voyage on the lake in the canoes, so while we were waiting for our turns, the guys and I started playing cards
- canoe ride: me with a whole bunch of other guys... thus beginning fart tennis
- one of the guys let one out and apparently, how you play is someone starts by calling out "service", then everyone has two minutes to "return" the "service" and if not, the person who served wins that round
- this continued during the whole trip and I was completely surrounded by the top winners
- after the trip, we got into intense games of "Slap", "Spoons", "31" and etc. which lasted till about 1am
- got back to my cabin only to discover that it had been completely water-ballooned in some of the bunks
- thankfully mine wasn't soaked nor was Mich's but poor Mandy, Julie, Nickkie and Carol's sleeping bags were soaked through to their mattresses!
- the guy leaders talked amongst themselves and decided that the perpetrators would have to decide what to do to make up for their water balloon idea since a bunch of girls now could not sleep
- the guys decided to give up their sleeping bags and pillows and carried dry mattresses to our cabin as reparations for what they did
- meanwhile, one of our kerosene lamps was smoking up like crazy and making the smoke detector go off
- Mich was trying to light the fire to last the night and it just made the detector go off more
- finally, we took the lamp outside, but while we were pulling in one of the mattresses, we knocked the other lamp over and a bunch of kerosene spilled onto the floor near Julie's bunk
- we had quite the frightful night, with worries that our cabin would go on fire in the middle of the night, so we did what we could only do: pray :)

I guess that's it! Sorry it turned out so long, but there's nothing I would take out. Camp is just that great.

Libellés :