mercredi 31 décembre 2008

An overview of a year

Admittedly, my first thought about this year being almost over is that my Christmas vacation is almost over and I'll be back at work in no time (oh, to be back on a semester system). However, it's hitting me that 2008, in its entirety, will be gone in less than a few hours. It's been a big year for me but at the same time, nothing completely life-changing - things seem to go on as usual.

To summarize: I finished my last semester of school (so far) and received my Master's degree this spring. To celebrate, I went on a fun trip with my dad to visit family in California. Afterwards, I came back to my final summer of "French camp". It was during this time in Quebec that I felt God was directing me to go back home rather than to move across the country, which was a hard decision to make but the right one.

It seemed to be a whirlwind of weddings in July for me, having stayed an extra week in Montreal for a friend's wedding and then coming back the day after to prepare for my best friend's wedding. One week later, I finished my maid of honour duties and started an internship.

Looking back, I am so thankful that I had this internship because it gave me something to come back to without having to spend my entire summer job-hunting and because it was in the same field that I receive my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in so I could definitely put what I've learnt to use. The internship was not without some issues but God definitely used them to stretch me and to grow me (says the girl in retrospect).

In the end, I was offered a temporary full-time position that I will be starting after the holidays. I'm grateful that I had a gradual transition from school to work life; having a part-time job throughout the summer and fall was really nice in easing me back to life here.

Now that I'm back (and by back, I mean not traipsing off to Quebec every few months), I've had to reconcile my hopes for full-time missions with being at home. It's not that I cannot do missions here but it is something I'm struggling with a bit since I had been preparing for years to leave and yet here I am, staying.

So as of this point, I am simply putting one foot in front of the other and depending on God to lead me to what's next :) He is so faithful and I am waiting in anticipation for what He will have in store.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

Have a blessed New Year everyone - may the Lord Jesus Christ be made more real in your hearts and lives in 2009!

Libellés :